Monday, December 2, 2013

Template Trouble.

Hey Y'all,

I want to say I am not an expert nor do I claim to be on Photoshop or Illustrator. I started dabbling with it in 2006 with Elements 8. Then progressed to CS3 with Yearbook and part-time newspaper. I mainly retouched photos and worked in InDesign with templates. It wasn't until 2011, I began reading and watching a lot of tutorials on how to create my own templates. Mainly to start a digital scrapbook of my newborn daughter and to make personal birthday invitations. Something to do as a hobby. It wasn't until this year I went back to college and decided to try to sell some of the templates I was making to help pay for college. I soon learned that it came with stress that I was not prepared for. The first template I sold, the person never responded so I worried if she liked it or not. Second person thought that the digital psd template was a frame that she would receive in the mailbox at home. I posted no refunds and tried to reword DIGITAL! PSD TEMPLATE! Just when I was about to take down all of my templates, I decided to wait. Sadly, I have had another person have issues with my template and ask for a refund. I am freelance and do not have a degree. I just know how to make a template ready for print, based on the tutorials and you tube videos I have watched. If I have a question, I generally turn there before I ask anyone else to see if it is a simple mistake. I opened up the template that my buyer had recently purchased and checked the clipping masks to see if there were any issues. I did notice that I had failed to clip mask two of my layers. As seen below.

That was my fault. 


 Layer one clipping mask worked like a charm. (For this example I didn't bother resizing at first.)


However, her question/problem was with the clipping mask on the two layers I had failed to clip mask.         Steps: Place > Right Click > Clipping Mask. 


I did notice that I had to make sure I check marked place BEFORE I could create the clip mask.


Once the clipping masks were made, I used command+t or CTRL+t to resize my image. This made my image go to the center of my template and seem to "disappear." I simply dragged back over to the box. 


                                                                Here is the complete result.



Once again: I am not an expert, I still consider myself a beginner to moderate user. I have very basic knowledge that allows me to create basic templates. I try not to use too many masks and overlays on the templates I sell. I would love to work with other Photographers and Crafters who enjoy the same interests I have. I don't want a competition in artworks. 

I stand by what I have posted on my Etsy: No refunds, especially digital items. 

The papers from this template were created by Harper Finch
She is such a creative gal and her papers are so much fun to work with. 

For now, I will try to continue to try to work with other Photographers and keep my templates up, however, I may be switching to only custom very soon. It would be my pleasure to work with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment